Domestic Violence in America
- An estimated 1.3 million American women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year.
- According to the California Women's Health Survey, approximately 40 percent of California women experience physical violence in their lifetimes.
- One in four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime.
- Women are more often victims of domestic violence than victims of burglary, mugging or other physical crimes combined.
- Almost one-third of murdered women are killed by their intimate male partner.
- Nearly one-third of female victims of non-lethal partner violence were victimized at least twice in the preceding six months.
- Intimate partner violence results in 18.5 million mental health care visits per year.
- Domestic violence is one of the most underreported crimes.
- One in three reported domestic violence assaults involve the use of a weapon and/or results in serious bodily injury.
- Thirty to 60 percent of perpetrators of intimate partner violence also abuse children in the household.
- Boys who witness domestic violence are twice as likely to abuse their own partners and children when they become adults.
- The cost of intimate partner violence exceeds $5.8 billion dollars each year, $4.1 billion of which is for direct medical and mental health services.
- Victims of intimate partner violence lost almost 8 million days of paid work because of the violence perpetrated against them by current or former husbands, boyfriends and dates. The loss is equivalent of more than 32,000 full-time jobs and almost 5.6 million days of household productivity as a result of violence.
If you or anyone you know is a victim of domestic violence, tell someone. Call the local authorizes or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE (7233) or TTY 1−800−787−3224. This number is confidential and anonymous, or visit their website.
Resources for Sacramento County:
A Community for Peace
24/7 Crisis Line: (916) 728-7210
My Sister's House
24 – Hour Multilingual Help Line:(916) 428-3271
WEAVE, inc Women Escaping A Violent Environment
24-Hour Support & Information Line (916) 920-2952
St. John’s Shelter for Women and Children
For Any Emergency Or Physical Harm: 911
* Material from National Coalition against Domestic Violence